Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Diets Don't Work

Ok.... Lets talk about the one topic that everyone on the planet has a love/hate relationship with.... weight. I have been on a "Diet" since I can't even remember when but I remember for my 8th birthday I didn't want to eat cake because it would make me fat... I am now 28 and still can't remember when I felt comfortable with how I  looked or felt about myself, inside or out.

I was lucky as my family were dairy farmers, so I was homeschool since 8 and didn't have to deal with school peers making fun of me. That being said there still wasn't a time in my life where I felt beautiful, and even on my wedding day, I remember thinking that I was so ugly at my 189 lbs. Well, that was almost 7 years ago, and they have been 7 years of dieting failures. I have a beautiful son whom I love more then life itself, a husband who adores me, and a life that is so blessed by my Heavenly Father, but as I look in the mirror and hate what I see.



This Picture is my husband and I at Jewel Lake in BC Canada on June 1, 2015... So one month ago exactly. I had an amazing time, but as I look at the pictures all I see is my 225 pound weight, and the rolls of fat that seem to hang on my body. Missing the amazing memories that I have made with my husband. 

This is my turning point, my personal wake up call. Where I am at right now isn't working, I am not happy and I don't want to live this way. I don't want to look at my life when I am old and crotchety and think how many years I have wasted being fat and unhappy. So I have started taking action by doing something different.

 I always think the quote "The true definition of crazy :If you keep doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result!!" and laugh, but it is so true, I have been living this way for most of my life.

So how do I change what I have always done? Where do I start? I have a BS in Health Education and Promotion/computer science, so I turned to the internet. Netflix, Google, instagram, Facebook, watching several documentaries, and the top three that rang true in my brain were:

Hungry for Change
https://www.facebook.com/hungryforchangefilm?fref=ts

Fed Up
https://www.facebook.com/FedUpMovie?fref=ts

Forks over Knives
https://www.facebook.com/forksoverknives?fref=ts

I learned some big things, the first was how we look at diets. A diet isn't what we go on and off to lose weight, but what we eat as a society. I learned that I was eating so much processed foods, and nothing real, and I realized that I needed to look at my stress level in my daily life. While watching "Hungry for Change" I listened to Jon Gabriel and went to his website and bought his total transformation package. His website is http://www.thegabrielmethod.com 

That brings us to today, I have now listened to Jon's book, started practicing visualization, juicing in the morning, yoga, drinking water, cutting out processed food, detoxing from sugar, and started working on loving myself at the place that I am at now. I also went on Facebook and liked all the people who contributed their knowledge to the documentaries, so that my new feed would be filled with healthily posts and news articles, along with the documentaries pages themselves, and a couple of fitness groups.

I am going to use this blog to talk about what is going on through the process of learning who the real me is. Learning how to live life though myself and not though others, and learning how to do this in a world that is 100% against this way of thinking. My goal is to become healthy, lose the weight naturally, clean up my diet and my life, but the biggest thing I want is to be comfortable with me, the real me and to love that person.  



1 comment:

  1. I'll have to take a look at those links. For my height I'm definitely in the overweight category on the BMI and every time I look at pictures I groan. I'll have to get Shawn on board with me if I'm going to do it.

    ReplyDelete