Sunday, July 5, 2015

My addiction to Sugar

Lets talk about my addiction to the sweet sweet substance we call sugar. When I started this process I had done research for my theses about how the average American eats roughly 150 lbs of sugar per year, a staggering amount from the 15lbs we ate a hundred years ago. To be totally honest I thought it was a lie in my life, I mean I didn't spend all day eating pixie sticks.... (at least not anymore!).

Growing up I ate allot of sugar everyday. I consumed soda pop, candy bars, ice cream, juice, and every kind of sweet desserts you can name. It didn't help that my family are phenomenal bakers, and I LOVE to create yummy treats myself~

Over the last few years we have been cutting juice more and more out of our diet, sometimes we have juice (from concentrate) for breakfast, but otherwise we have milk or ice water. After all this time it has become such a habit that when we do have juice we only drink a small amount, and the left over juice goes bad in our fridge because we forget about it! Even my two year old would rather have a cup of water with his juice so when it becomes to sweet he can cleanse his pallet.

One of my New Years Resolutions was to cut out soda this year. I used Ginger ale and Sprite as medicine, and still do, but now I need to have a really bad stomach ache before I drink it. Whereas I use to go through a 12 pack each month, and think nothing of it. I was using coupons which saved me money, but it still was costing 4$-5$ each month from my food budget.

I heard the saying that "We all need 2 liters of liquid a day, some of that can be from soda" during a news program, but now as I look back I see the flaws in this, especially with all of the research that has been coming forth lately with the dangers of consuming sodas.

Well, I have been trying to cut out more sugar! I was feeling ready a few months ago to drop the sweets but that when I realized that I had a real problem. It started with migraines, all day everyday, with a sensitivity to light, sound, and movement. Then I couldn't sleep because my arms and legs were twitching and jerking, I couldn't think, and my emotions were everywhere.  All I could think about was getting sugar, and at one point I was digging though my trash to see if there was something left in a package that I had previously chucked.... I had a problem, and I couldn't imagine a solution, it took many days of horrifying disabling pain before there was light at the end of the tunnel.

I have been "Processed Sugar" free for about 6 weeks, I avoid soda, candy, and treats. Anything made with white sugar. I started making smoothies to help with the sugar withdrawals, but that meant that I had to start making homemade yogurt because store bought it filled with sugar. I had to learn how to read ingredient lists so that I wasn't consuming huge amounts of sugar in the different processed foods I was still eating. I also had to learn how to cook real foods, which had its own huge learning curve!

It is July and I can say I am much more comfortable in my life now. I have a treat once in a while as a life without ever having Carmel Bars again is no life at all, but it is truly a treat now.  A side affect is that food tastes better, and I can now taste the natural sweetness of food. I had never known that carrots were sweet, or the delicious crunch of an apple. Before it had been a chore but now that my tongue has been 'cleansed' I enjoy the food that I eat, and my life is filled with joy!

I have also had my energy levels rise, and am able to get through the day without having to take a nap! Life has been so much richer, and more rewarding! I also have more time in the day to do the things that fill me with joy and help me to expand myself since I'm not trying to nod off all day.

Its a wonderful life now,
Peace ;) 


1 comment:

  1. You amaze me! We hope to follow in your footsteps soon!

    ReplyDelete